Foundation Course For Child Day Care Givers
The MIE is offering this Foundation Course for aspiring child day caregivers at the request of the National Empowerment Foundation. The course is in line with government policy and that of the Ministry of Social Integration and Economic Empowerment to make available new kindergarten/nurseries that will take care of children under the supervision of trained care givers. This course aims at giving the basic knowledge, skills and appropriate attitudes to the child caregiver.
The Course consists of two modules, Managing child day care centres and Child growth, development and care. It will also include workshops and a First Aid course. A certificate of attendance will be given to trainees upon successful completion of the course.
2.0 Aims of programme
The Foundation Course for child daycare givers (0-3 years) aims at developing knowledge, skills and attitude as follows:
- Provide the basic knowledge of the growth and developmental milestones in Early Childhood (0-3 years)
- Provide the basic knowledge on how to provide general care to infants aged from 0 to 3 years, based on principles, skills, theories covering several areas of child development such as nutrition, health and safety measures, child protection and legislation to promote holistic development of the child.
- Provide the basic needs (nutrition, care, health and safety) to infants in respect to the articles of the Convention on the Rights of the Child
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment to respond to emergencies.
- Communicate with children effectively.
- Work with children in a climate of confidence, professionalism and affection based on knowledge of young child needs and development.
- Observe children at different levels of care giving.
- Develop proper attitude to provide care in a safe and pleasant environment
- Foster the proper attitudes and behaviours to respond appropriately to the needs of the child and attend to those having difficulties.
- Develop a professional attitude to interact with children, families, colleagues, community and society.
3.0 Entry requirements
This course is open to aspiring child care givers sponsored by the National Empowerment Foundation.